The camera that the Samsung Galaxy S5 will carry is more or less known. Everything seems to indicate that it will have a 16 megapixel sensor and that it will also have the capacity to record in 4K Ultra HD at 30 frames per second, going down to 1080p resolution to reach 60 frames per second. However, little else we know about the camera. It is expected that it will bring the new ISOCELL technology that Samsung was working on, but at the moment we do not have confirmation of this either. However, we have much more data to talk about about the camera that the new Samsung Galaxy S5 will carry.
As we have said, we do not know much about the hardware of the camera, but we do know something additional, and that it is new, that we can add to what we already knew. It has nothing to do with camera technology, but rather with the shutter. As you know, we have gone through different eras in the era of mobile phones that have made us go through terminals with a large number of physical buttons that were later not used by other smartphones that practically did not have physical buttons. The latter led to a problem, that capturing photos was not easy, because you had to press on the screen, something that made it much more difficult to keep the mobile stable, and that made it easier to move it when we pressed on the screen. Well, the new Samsung Galaxy S5 would have a “Touch Side” button. It is an invisible physical button, a physical button that does not exist, so to speak. It is a sensor on the right side, which would detect when we have pressed and which would capture the photograph. This button stands out for two things. On the one hand, it makes it easier to take a picture, as there is a button dedicated solely to that function. On the other hand, by not having to apply pressure, we do not destabilize the terminal either, and we get a photograph that is not shaken. What’s more, that button will even serve to activate the camera. However, there are limitations. It cannot be used for video, nor in Easy Mode, which we will talk about later, nor in when we have the mobile in a vertical position, since then we would be activating the camera almost whenever we had the mobile in hand. In addition to this, we also know that the camera could reduce its quality to 2.4 megapixels, and that it will allow us to choose between different ISO levels, from 100 to 800, to control the light sensitivity of the sensor.
However, as has become common, most of the new features of the camera come with the software, as Samsung usually includes a large number of applications developed by themselves to what Android already brings. We will go on to list and explain the different photography modes that the new Samsung Galaxy S5 will have:
- 3D Tour Shot: Allows us to create interactive tours of our environment. It is something like the museums in 3D that we can see, but being able to recreate it from any room.
- Sports: Take sharp photos of moving subjects.
- Focus Select: We can select a target in the image so that it stands out from all the rest of the capture, automatically modifying the depth of field.
- Dual Camera: Will capture photos or video from front and rear camera at the same time.
- Aqua: Mode for taking pictures underwater.
- Animated photo: Create an image with elements that are in motion. We are not sure what this mode will consist of, but it seems that objects that move can be selected.
- 3D Panorama: It is a basic mode, to create a three-dimensional image of a landscape.
- Sound & Shot: You not only capture sound, but also a few seconds of ambient audio.
- Drama: We can capture multiple photos of a moving subject so that the system combines them all into a single “dramatic” image.
- Golf: For those who have money and play golf. It allows us to capture photos of a golf swing, and then reproduce them forwards or backwards.
- Self-portrait: Mode created to be able to take a photo of ourselves using the main camera.
- HDR: No explanation needed. A high dynamic range image. Combine multiple shots with differing exposures into a single photo with the perfect colors and lights. At least, that is the theory.
- Car: This one does not need an explanation.
- Draft: Capture several photos with moving objects so that later these can be eliminated and a much sharper photograph remains.
- Night: Mode created for situations in low light conditions, to improve photos even when the flash is not used.
- Best Face: Capture five consecutive photos and choose the one with the best face you’ve put on. For the little photogenic.
- Best Photo: Same, but also useful if you are handsome. Capture multiple shots, choose the best one.
- Continuous shooting: With this mode we can capture several continuous photos to save them all.
- Panorama: We can take correlative photographs, horizontally or vertically, which are later joined creating a single impossible shot.
Some more modes have been leaked, although they have not been described: Mosaic, Smile, Frame, Vintage, Draw, Add me (probably for social networks), Action Shot, Stop Motion, and Pets. In addition, a whole series of effects are also included: Grayscale, Sepia, Negative, Emboss, Outline, Watercolor, Monochrome, Sketch, Washed Out, Posterize, Solarize, Vintage, Vintage Cold, Vintage Warm, Blue, Green, Red / Yellow, Nostagia, Faded Color, Retro, Sunset, Old Photo, Drawing, Pastel, Moody, Etched, Vignette, Rugerized, Tint, Turquoise, Fish Eye, Noir Note, and Vincent. And there is more, because you can download additional effects for your photos.
It seems that Samsung is serious about adding functionalities to its camera and making it a true mobile optimal for taking pictures. We will have to wait to see all these functions in action and if it really is as much as it seems to be.